- Why can’t I find the Serial File option in the new version of LABELVIEW?
With the release of LABELVIEW 9, the Serial File feature was incorporated into Shared Variables.
To create a Shared variable Counter in:
- Open or create a label file that will contain a counter that you would like to share across several labels.
- Begin by creating the Shared Variable by selecting Tools > Shared data source management > Counters. A Shared data sources Management window appears.
- Select the small folder button to add a counter shared data source name.
- In the line that appears, add a data source name (i.e. CounterVar) in the left portion and a data source value (i.e. 00001) in the right portion.
- Click OK.
- Now create a new counter variable by selecting Data sources > Counter > Add. A Counter window will appear
- Enter the shared data source name that you specified earlier (i.e. CounterVar) in the Name textbox
- Check the Shared checkbox. The Current Value textbox is immediately greyed out and populated by the shared data source value you defined earlier. (i.e. 00001)
- Click OK.
- This counter will now be retained after incrimination. Repeating steps 6-9 on additional label designs will allow this counter value to be shared across several label designs.
Note: The Shared Variables feature is only available in Gold level editions of LABELVIEW
- With the release of LABELVIEW 9, the Serial File feature was incorporated into Shared Variables.